Marketing strategies for freelancers are no less important than they are for billion dollar corporations.
When your business revolves around freelance services, you need a marketing plan. Small business marketing plans can vary greatly depending on your budget. As a freelancer, you want to watch your wallet carefully.
It’s not always easy to find one single effective marketing idea for small business. It’s a process of trial and adjust and then stick to it once it’s proven to be working. As a language translator, you also need to use both words and money efficiently.
One of the most important marketing strategies for freelancers is to find out who your audience is going to be.
- In taking your business locally, you will want to look at how the non-English speaking community or companies tackle international business in your area.
Look around and see what the local organizations have for the language or languages of your choice.
- Advertising is one of the best known marketing tools for business.
This only works if you do it consistently.
So start small, advertise within your budget but focus on your current customer base. Find your target and hit it! Remind them of your existence regularly.
- Leave your business cards at restaurants frequented by your potential clients.
- Post your or your company information at local libraries and community centres.
You want to create a top-of-the-mind awareness of your business for these people so that they’ll think about you when they need your services.
- Of course you don’t need to limit yourself to your neighbourhood when developing marketing strategies for your freelance business.
With internet you can expand your coverage further. Decide again who your target audience is going to be.
- Be the provider of expert information and position yourself as a valuable resource providing knowledge to your target audience.
Sending out emails, writing articles, networking, blogging are all cost-effective ways to spread the word and promote your translation business.
- Do you want to concentrate on the immigration population?
- Know your competition inside out
Do searches for the different visa support groups. Join these support forums, answer questions, etc. Make sure your signature includes your company information. Search for all the relevant target audiences and try advertising on sites that have a lot of traffic.
It’s important to know what your competitors are offering. Don’t just copy them. Learn from them! In addition to regular services, you also want to be able to offer something different to better suit your clients’ needs.
But you don’t need to reinvent the wheel. Effective marketing ideas are mostly those already been applied by other businesses.
It is believed that when you keep 80% of the conventional business and add 20% through your own innovation, you will have greater success while keeping the risks low.
Keep track of your success and failures along the way, so that you can focus your resources on the most effective marketing strategies.
- Always ask your customers “Where did you hear about us?” This will help you gauge what’s working and what’s not. It will impact your future.
- Keep yourself updated with the latest technology and employ it.
Make yourself a valued asset by continuing to learn and grow in order to provide cutting edge information to your target audience.
It may take some or all of these marketing strategies to build a successful business. But until you try, no one can tell which one will work best for you.